The purpose of Lake Hume Mens Shed is to create an innovative approach to men's sheds development and help build sustainable men's sheds that are valuable assets for the communities they serve.
Lake Hume Mens Shed role is to support the people who make things happen and to encourage broad-thinking and innovation, Together we seek to serve communities by providing an infrastructure for starting, running and growing men's sheds and providing resources for facilitation, management and implementation of projects that will meet the men's and community's aspirations.
The Lake Hume Mens Shed Website, Help Desk, Resource Centre and Networks bring together know-how, people, marketing, information, knowledge, research, planning, finance, tools and processes and other services. The sharing of opportunities and practical experiences provides men's sheds and communities with new insight into their performance, growth and development.
By leveraging and cross fertilisation of the different skills of various men's sheds and communities we make a significant difference to their success, without sacrificing their autonomy, or flexibility. Lake Hume Mens Shed assists in connecting men and their communities with mainstream activities.
The marshalling of assistance and resources to resolve issues and implement projects, ideas and opportunities is accomplished by leveraging the attributes of experienced people, interested in men's issues and their communities.
Lake Hume Mens Shed is able to support the establishment and operation of men's sheds in other countries. This is addressed through the Internet, Partnerships and Alliances in other countries with people interested in the men's shed concept and its development.
Lake Hume Mens Shed's Vision:
Every community in Australia will have a men's shed.
- To address the issues of men's health (physical, emotional, social and spiritual well-being) in the community.
- To engage men of all ages, differently-abled, youth, veterans and other groups of men of the communities in regional, rural, remote and urban areas;
- To support the social interaction of men in transitional periods (e.g. Redundancy, Bereavement, Retirement, Ill Health, Relocation, Divorce, Respite Care) in a non-exclusive, non-judgemental way;
- To share, disseminate and preserve the skills, abilities and interests that are relevant to the community.
Our Mission is:
- To provide the skill, expertise and resources to any community group to enable it to establish, effectively operate and build a sustainable men's shed.
- To facilitate links between men and health-related agencies, family organisations and specialist health professionals within the community.
- To generate opportunities, creating jobs and economic activity for the community.
- To advocate and build partnerships between men's sheds and the community.
- To demonstrate to men's sheds how their operation can be cost neutral, that is, that its ongoing costs can be met or exceeded by its revenue.
- To initiate and disseminate research on topics of particular relevance to men and their men's shed.
- To provide a strong national voice on men's issues and men's sheds.
In Pursuing our Vision, We Commit to the Following Values:
- Compassion and empathy in serving men in all communities,
- Sincerity and devotion to improving of men's health,
- Honesty and integrity in all our activities,
- Reliability and trustworthiness in delivering on our promises,
- Responsiveness to the needs of men, their families and their communities,
- Wisdom in applying technology and innovation,
- Respect for the value added by teamwork and participation to life-long learning,
- Appreciation of the value of contributions by partners and sponsors,
- Responsibility and generosity in giving back to the community.