Every men's shed needs an income in order to become sustainable. While governments will fund infrastructure costs they are not willing to fund operational expenses. They quickly suffer from 'funder fatigue'.
Of course we should not overlook the fact that there are many retired men who would welcome the opportunity to make a little extra money to supplement their pensions.
The establishment of a men's sheds can be a strategy to accelerate:
- Economic outcomes through job creation and business incubation. These are seen as a necessary prelude to improving men's health and well being and building sustainable men's sheds.
- Building networks that will assist the development of the men's shed and their communities into the future. One of these networks will be other men's sheds from across Australia who can assist with skills development. Another will revolve around building a network of support from corporations businesses and others outside and within regions.
- Leadership and management skills development so necessary in getting worthwhile outcomes and sustainability.
- Capacity building through training, mentoring, role models, opportunities to be actively involved in decision making.
- Changes in culture and employment practices that hinder the creation of employment and development of business opportunities, particularly for the disadvantaged.
- Engaging young men through meaningful participation at the men's shed, in community projects and creating a learning environment for them.
- The creation of diversionary activities for men - of all ages (alcohol, domestic violence, crime) in order to help men improve the economic growth in their communities.
- Improvements to health and well being of men, by generating physical, mental, social, spiritual activities and having them engaged in meaningful employment.
- Improvements to infrastructure helping to minimise the difficulties associated with economic development such as poorly maintained roads, lack of public transport, housing availability and maintenance, poor training on such things as information technology and the new global economy.