The men's shed initiative has clearly opened doors for very substantial outcomes in both men's health and wellbeing and improving economic activity in communities. The following checklist outlines some the many needs and wants of men of all ages.
If you feel this list is a bit overwhelming call Lake Hume Mens Shed and we will help you focus on the most important outcomes for your men's shed and community.
A Check List for Identifying Men's Needs and Wants
- A space for men
- A daytime meeting place for men (Not the pubs)
- Need to have feelings of belonging.
- Social interaction, which is too hard without support.
- Reduced social isolation better addressing men's health issues.
- Creation of jobs and business opportunities.
- Improving lifestyles lead to improved quality of life.
- More attention and focus is needed on men's health and well being issues.
- Improving self-esteem with youth, unemployed, disabled and older men.
- Support for youth and their aspirations and motivation.
- Helping young men to become self sufficient and prosper.
- Developing self-worth through personal effort and community contribution.
- Participating in community service and community projects.
- Intergenerational mentoring.
- Growing through mentoring, motivation and innovation.
- Helping men with their businesses, or to start a new business.
- Promoting of a good work ethic.
- Learning about culture and life skills
- Respect for older people and their knowledge.
- Recognising, regenerating, celebrating and passing on craftsmanship.
- Sharing knowledge and skills.
- Improving men's ability to pass on knowledge and experience.
- Life long learning and skills development, including social and life skills.
- Helping men to realise their potential.
- Men need to develop their hobbies and other interests.
- Or simply having someone to talk to.
- Giving men their lives back and building better communities.
A men's shed can go a long way to assisting men to cope with the three big health issues of isolation, loneliness and depression.
A men's shed is an ideal venue for input and involvement of Community Health Service Teams.
For more information please contact us