How the Lake Hume Mens Shed Network Can Help
We feel it is pointless trying to do anything without engaging the men to work on their own problems. Lake Hume Mens Shed is seen by Indigenous men as a great way forward, helping them to:
- Have a 'men's space' from which to work and manage their own issues
- Restore their confidence and self-esteem
- Reinforce the structures within their communities
- Reinforce their traditional values
- Move away from the welfare system
- Improve the overall health and well being of the men in their community
- Get positive things happening for the men and their communities
- Generate jobs and business opportunities
- Involve their young people in worthwhile pursuits
- Integrate better with mainstream Australia and the global economy
- Learn how to cope with isolation and loneliness
An important aspect in the support for the Indigenous communities will be the existing network of Lake Hume Mens Shed's affiliated Members. These members can be involved in supporting the remote men's sheds by men with specific skills visiting selected men's sheds to impart those skills, while they enjoy other parts of our country.
The skills of the Lake Hume Mens Shed Network can be supplemented by other organisations and people such as employees on secondment from corporations and businesses, the Indigenous Volunteers and the Grey Nomads and through the extensive network of contacts of Lake Hume Mens Shed.